Monday, October 6, 2008

What kind of a world are we living in?

The most horrible thing happened this weekend to my brother and sister in law. They had gone up to the cabin for the weekend with her family. They left Friday morning. That night at about 2 am, Mark (my other brother) drove by their house to drop off his work trailer because he had been working out at their new house. He said everything looked normal. But at 6, the next door neighbors heard the smoke detectors and called 911. When they came out, the garage door was open and the dogs were just calmly wondering around the front yard. My sister Mary called me to tell me what was going on at about 8 (she is the sibling who lives the closest, so when my parents got the word, they called her to get down there as fast as she could). She said that water was just pouring out of the house. Brent and Keirra have fire sprinklers in their house so they put the fire right out and there was hardly any fire damage...however, there is definitely water damage. The worst part of all of it is that it was a robbery/arson. The fire was started in the master closet, bedroom, and babies room. The master and babies room are on opposite ends of the hallway. With all 3 fires, they pulled out the clothes, stacked them up, poured gasoline and then started the fire. They stole their tv's, video games, all the new toys from my nephew's bday last month (yes, they went through the toys and just took the new ones), tools from the garage and their suburban! Plus their computer with all the personal information on it, the gun safe with who knows how many guns, and who knows what else. Dave is convinced it was someone who knew them. Jill too. I don't want to jump to that conclusion yet. I think anyone who was watching could have seen them loading up for what was obviously an over-night trip. Another sad thing is that this isn't the first time it has happened (this is the main reason Jill and Dave are so sure that it was someone who knows them). When they were moving into their last house, they had their stuff in, but they hadn't moved in yet. One morning, they went out and sure enough, someone had spent hours going through all their stuff and taking all sorts of things--even their scrap books! She lots of clothes in boxes and when she would open it up again, there were just 2 or three things left inside. I really feel bad and it is scary! Just last Thursday, I cleaned out my garage and noticed that my drill had been stolen. A small thing considering what they have had happen to them, but still! I just can't believe what some people are capable of doing to those around us. What a violating feeling to know that someone was going through all of your personal possesions, spending hours deciding what they want of yours. I really do hate that we can't trust those we meet and have to be suspecious of others. I'm sure you all feel the same, but I still just had to express myself!

On a little lighter note about this... when I told the kids what happened, B said of the robbers, in a very serious tone, "Their mom's better be ashamed of them, huh, mama?" "Yes, B, I'm sure their mom's are very ashamed."

3 comments:

nicole said...

I can't believe that! How awful. It's scary and sad to think of what goes on in the world...and what goes on in our own backyard. It's hard to feel safe and secure when you know these things happen...and for it to happen twice is just horrible. I'm so sorry for them!

Pauole Family said...

Sounds like it might be time to move to good 'ole Nephi Utah. It is approximately 92% LDS. Of course if you took a look at my caseload you would see that I am maxed out with substance abuse clients and have a long waiting list of people who are trying to get in...Sorry!

Ali said...

Hey Cheryl, just found your blog. That is horrible, it IS the worst feeling ever. Hugs to your family. What a shame!