Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Quest for Female Dominance

I have long believed that L has a very deep conviction that she could do a better job being "mom" than I do. There have been times where she has been quite angry at me for demanding that we do things my way when she is sure her way is better. Well, I wasn't aware that she isn't the only one who wants my job. Yesterday afternoon, CK was being quite the stinker and had to be reprimanded several times. Finally, after she had had enough of me, she said, "Hmph! Mommy, can't I just be in chige [charge] now?"
"No." (B emphatically echoed this answer)
"Why not!?!" (in a tone that almost said, "Are you stupid?")
"Because I'm in charge."
"Hmph! Can't you just stop being in chige and I'll be in chige now?"

Funny girl... this morning on our way to school she asked me if L could be in charge of her. I said no again and was again asked why, and again the answer that I'm in charge. She suggested that maybe L could be in charge of her and I could just be in charge of the boys. Once again, while the suggestion would have been gladly accepted by L, I had to refuse-- citing, again, my ultimate authority. That led to the following conversation:
"Who i you in chige of?" [who are you in charge of?]
"Everyone."
"Everyone!?!" (very increaduosly)
"Everyone."
"Everyone!?!?" (an octave higher, and still sounding doubtful)
"Everyone."
"Everyone in the whole world?" (in an "I got you" voice)

5 comments:

The Curtis Family said...

Whew that takes a load off me, to know that you're in chige of my kids too. They're all yours! LOL what a cutie patootie. I can just hear her little voice in all that.

Tess asked me the other day "where's my sister Yani?" :)

Andrea W. said...

LOL. What a cute mutinous little stink. You better watch your back :)

The sad thing is sometimes I think maybe one of my kids could do a better job.

bethiepoos said...

aww cheryl I miss her soo much!! I miss her voice bellowing from my basement!! oh how I took those days for granted!! come and see us lani!!! dora is on tv!!!

Lynnae said...

All I can say is Good Luck!! Just wait for the "bi-polar" stage as JJ calls it. They are cute when they are little. Not quite so cute ten years later and doing it. Maybe yours will get it out now.

Pauole Family said...

I call it the alpha female syndrome. In our house it's more prominent between Cynthia and Kalea, however Taylor has been known to mix it up. It's when the alpha female of one family bears a first born daughter and the two battle it out for ultimate power and control! Kai is able to hold his own by initiating sneak attacks. The psychological term would be 'passive aggresive'. Our situation was much worse in Cedar City where we shared a culdesac with 3 other of these alpha females. If estrogen could be measured by the Richter Scale we were looking at 8.0's each month. Remind me and I'll show you my scars...