Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Citrus Trees

As most of you know, there is just nothing quite like Arizona Oranges! My aunt and uncle have an orchard about 25 minutes from here. Their oranges are so amazing! They are one of my favorite treats and I just can't stomach store bought citrus. It just leave so much to be desired. Well, when Dave and I bought this house, it was our desire to have our own citrus trees. About a year after moving in, I decided it was time and so I went out and dug the necessary trenches through what felt like cement, bought my trees (2 navel orange and 1 lemon for Dave), and got them planted. Since that day nearly 5 years ago (and I remember quite well that it was nearly 5 years ago because I was pregnant with CK at the time which made digging all those trenches just fun!), we have seen very little to be excited about until a few months ago when Dave proudly announced that he had found a small green ball on one of the trees that looked like it could grow into something more! I went out to see for myself and sure enough there it was! Not only that, but there was a second as well! Joyous day! We have been watching these 2 little miracles over the last couple of months to see what they will be come. Unfortunately about a month or 2 ago, L walked in with one of them that was just starting to turn a golden color leaving us with only 1. Yesterday, I looked out my kitchen window and was so pleased to see what a beautiful color it had taken on.

Here are our trees:

Here is our sweet little orange. She looks just beautiful. I think I will pluck her and see for myself just how sweet are the fruits of my labor tomorrow for my New Year's present.
I now have great hopes for next year. Maybe we will get 4!! One can only dream, and dream I will because they have already started to come true.

2 comments:

Some Kind of Crazy said...

You are right--nothing compares to Arizona oranges! Once when I was away from home in college, my mom sent me a box with a branch from a blossoming orange tree in our backyard. The smell brought homesick tears to my eyes. And I'll never forget the first time I bought an orange at the grocery store--yuck! Congratulations on your miracle! May you have many many more!

nicole said...

I can't wait to hear how it tasted! Unfortunately, I'm a home-grown California orange girl myself. You can't beat 'em.