Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas Dinner

Growing up, we had MANY Christmas traditions in our house. One of my favorites was having dinner by candlelight. This isn't something Dave particularly enjoys. Whenever we do it, he will come in and turn the lights on because he says he can't see what he is eating. Anyway, last year I splurged and bought some really pretty Christmas dishes and so decided that I should take this tradition up a notch and have a formal sit-down dinner with the kids during December. I decided last night was a great night to do it--partly because I was actually making dinner which has felt like a novelty at our house lately, and partly because I had borrowed my mom's cloth napkins for our dinner party over the weekend and I hadn't returned them yet. (I have been looking for some cloth napkins I like, but have yet to find any.)

Here is our table all set up before dinner.

Here is a close up of my beautiful plates.
Here are all the kids. I had a hard time getting KL to look away from the candles for a pic! She was pretty mesmerized.
It was a fun dinner and the kids loved feeling fancy. D insisted on calling everyone "madame" with his french accent. He thought he was pretty funny! :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The same with Gable he doesn't like to eat by candle light the romantic aspect isn't enough to over come the inconvenience it causes!

nicole said...

Your table looks so elegant and festive...and then I saw all the kids and just laughed. I totally expected a "black tie" affair. I'm sure the kids loved the change of pace. I don't know what to say about Dave, in my house, Todd would have just gone out to eat.

Andrea W. said...

So pretty!

mommy k said...

we have this tradition too...but with cousins. like dave, kevin does not particularly enjoy the dim light. i have to promise romance for him to enjoy the evening at all! hee hee.

Ali Hawkins said...

So fun! I try to do it every once in a while also. The kids always love it for some reason. That is hilarious what D was saying.