Monday, May 25, 2009

Water Day '09

Every year at the end of the year, the kids get to have a water day. Lucky. When I was little it was "track and field day". You may wonder why I sound bitter about this. After all, being out of the classroom all day long doing outdoor relays sounds fun, right? Well, please keep in mind where I grew up. It was ALWAYS over 100 and we were required to stay outside all day long sweating our guts out. Needless to say, although it was always billed as a fun end of school year activity, I would always dread it. Anyway, apparently, the powers that be realized that forcing young kids outside all day long in the sweltering heat isn't the best thing for them and have replaced "track and field day" with "water day". They get lots of big inflatable water slides and let the kids play. They don't get to do it for the whole day, in fact, they only get 30 min per grade, but I still would have gladly taken that any day over "track and field day."

I went to help out with the kids. It was fun to see them having so much fun, but unfortunately, they don't let the parents go down the slides, so despite it being water day, I stayed nice and dry... and HOT!!!

Naturally, the 1st graders went first. Here are B and Z playing in the "water tag" area. It was a little maze and they were all given water guns to shoot each other. I think those boys would have stayed in there all day, but I told them it was time to get out. The reluctantly obeyed.

Anna going down a slide.

L going down a slide.
Their awesome teacher agreed to go in the dunk take. Here are the girls as they watched her get dunked over and over again. They thought was hilarious!
(L 2nd from the left; Anna 4th from the right)
Here are my little 1st graders with their most amazing of teachers. We loved Mrs. McRobbie and will really miss her next year!
Anna, B, Zach, Mrs. MacRobbie, L

D with his friend Kade.

That is the only picture I got of David because I was helping with the dunk tank during his time. I was trying to get a picture of him with his teacher (who we also loved. thanks Ms. Selvaggi!), but my battery was dying on me and by the time I finally got him there, it was too late. Oh well!

No comments: