Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Girl's Camp 2010

I got back from girls camp earlier this month. It was wonderful. I absolutely love being involved with it and when I get released from this calling, it is definitely going to be one of the things I miss most. I love being up in the mountains with the girls and the leaders from around the stake. There are so many amazing people that I have gotten to know in from the different wards who I have come to admire so much. They give so much to help the Young Women's program and I have learned so much from them.

Many people thought I was crazy for being up there this soon after having a baby, but nonetheless, we were both there. My parents cabin is only about 15 minutes away, so we stayed there at night and went to camp during the day. Thankfully, A was the perfect age. She still sleeps so much of the time and is so undemanding that I was able to easily take care of all my responsibilities.

This is a picture of some of the girls doing one of the standard activities for our 2nd years.

Here are some of the leaders hanging around the tent. We had daily afternoon lesson/discussions with our Jr. Staff and this is just after one of them.

We have a new Stake Presidency. I truly loved our old Stake Presidency (surprising, since my dad was the stake president, but I really came to love the couselors too) and I'm so thankful for the chance I had to work with them. I now get the opportunity to get to know and work with the new presidency and I'm already loving it. My old bishop, Pres. Christensen, is one of the counselors and I already know what an amazing person he is, but I have enjoyed the time spent with Pres. Allred (who is over the YW program), and Pres. Andersen. Here is a picture of Pres. Andersen with all our YCL's leading one of the camp songs. The girls just loved it!
Our theme this year was COURAGE, taken from our Mutual Theme for the year in Joshua 1:9 "Be strong and of a good courage." I'm so thankful for this theme and for all we were able to do with it. Each of the wards/campsite chose a hero from either the scriptures, or present time. It was great to think of each of the men and women chosen and appreciate the courage they had. I'm so thankful for all their examples. I know the Young Woman today need that kind of courage to make it through all the trials that will face them, but I also know that these girls are up to the challenge. I'm grateful for their examples to me!

2 comments:

Andrea W. said...

Um, not one little things slows you down does it? And by "little thing" I mean you know birthing 6 kids in 12 years. You are amazing. Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my Ragnar post. It probably took longer to read those posts than the actual race took me. :) Anna is at girls camp right now, and I'm dying. I can't believe it. You are the perfect leader for YW and girls camp. How fun. It's probably good I don't live closer cause I couldn't resist just outright stealing that baby girl of yours!!

Some Kind of Crazy said...

You are The Woman for sure!

Even with all the work it takes to plan girls camp, afterwards I think everyone agrees that it is definitely worth the effort!