Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Summer Vacation 2009... Part 3: Temples

The second week of our vacation began with taking Dave to the airport. We were sad to see him go, but work called. We were excited to be able to stay the extra week with family and go to my dad's family reunion the next weekend.

CK wanted a picture with her daddy so she wouldn't miss him.
This is at the airport.

Anyway, me and the kids tried to keep ourselves busy that week. One of the things we did was to see some of the temples. Right after we dropped off Dave at the temple, we went by the Draper temple which is right by our friends house we were staying with. Here are the kids:

Unfortunately, we were still being plagued with sickness. At this point, D was was coming up on the end, but still feeling pretty rotten, and L was just starting to complain. This picture does a pretty good job of showing just how great D was feeling.

The next day, D was feeling much better, but L was really down. However, the Oquirrh Mountain Temple house was going on and I really didn't want to miss the chance to take my kids to go and see the inside of a temple. We had tickets to go that day and it was also the last time the kids were going to have a chance to see their Grandpa and Grandma before they headed back to the east coast. So, we said a family prayer, then I put L in the shower and she really did seem to perk up. So off we went.


I don't know how many of you have been to a temple open house, but they always have a short introductory video that they show before you go into to explain a little bit about our temple worship. We went inside for our video and as soon as we walked out, L threw up in her little ziploc bag which I so thankfully must have been inspired to bring in. We got rid of the bag and on we went (I mean, lets face it, you always feel a little bit better after doing that when your sick, right? At least for a little while...) As we were waiting in the line of people to actually go inside the temple, D started telling me hasn't feeling well again. I really didn't believe him because he had been doing so well and he had been on his antibiotics for a few days so I just knew he was ok. Anyway, we go in and everytime the line stopped, he would sit down to rest. Meanwhile, I was carrying L everywhere. I'm so thankful that we were with the in-laws because they were helping me with the other 3 kids. They had also brought with my 2 neices and they were really helpful too keeping CK and KL close by. We went through the basement level of the temple and as soon as we got back upstairs, it became pretty obvious that the kids weren't going ot make it. I found an exit and I took KL, L and D out. We went into the refreshment tent and got some water and a cookie for D. As soon as he guzzled his water, he started feeling much better. He had been telling me for a while that he was thirsty. It was at this point that I realized he had been dehydrated from having been so sick the fews before and we were in such a hurry that morning, he really hadn't had much to drink. So, as soon as he was hydrated again, he was just so miserable that he had left the temple before seeing the rest of it. By this time, we had gone outside and found a small patch of shade where I laid L down. She had fallen asleep immediately, so I really couldn't take him back in, but he was just so heartbroken. I walked him back over to where we had come out of the temple and told him to back and try and find the rest of our group. I had a hard time sending him in alone, but I figured there isn't really anyway to get off the guided tour path, plus, inside the temple, he is pretty safe. He never actually caught up to them, but he did get to see the rest of it, for which we were both really grateful. When everyone finally got back out again, I pulled out my camera, but unfortunately, the battery on my camera was dead so oh well! Still, it was a great, and certainly unforgettable experience!

1 comment:

Larsens said...

sick kids+vacation... no thanks! your a good mommy. i am sure glad you stayed though. it was fun seeing you guys.