Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

As all of you know, today is election day. I have to put my last push out there. I truly believe that each election is getting more and more crucial to our country and our freedoms. Here in Arizona, as in California and Florida, we have a Marriage Amendment Proposition on the ballot. This has received quite a bit of publicity as well as opposition, though I know not as much in California. When I consider why the battle is even more heated in California, it is because they are living in an environment where Gay Marriage is already legal and they are seeing the ramifications. Here is a video of some things that supporters of Prop 8 are dealing with now:



As I have considered how I feel about Prop 102 here, I have looked into some of things that have happened (not just could happen) in the states of Massachusetts and California; parents have been arrested for simply requesting the right to be informed when their children will be taught about homosexual marriage, elementary schools are having gay rights and awarness days and celebrations, churches and preachers are being sued for not marrying gay couples, Catholic Family Services has stopped operations in Mass. because they were told they had to allow adoptions to gay couples, something that they have been preaching against for nearly two thousand years, churches could lose their "tax-exempt" status unless they preach in favor of homosexual marriage.

I continously hear that a vote for these amendments means a lack of tolerance and means that those who support them are biggots. However, when I see what can/has happened, I can't help but wonder where the tolerance is. Do I not deserve the right to be tolerated for my religous beliefs? Or, do I not have any parental rights when it comes to what my children will be taught on these issues? When I see the destruction that has take place to people who support these marriage propostions, and even as I have to a very small scale, experienced it myself, I wonder why I am not allowed the same degree of tolerance for my beliefs as others are for theirs. I'm not using hateful language, destroying property, or demeaning others. I'm wishing for the continued right to raise my children and practice my religion in a way I feel is best.

Another thing that I have heard here is, "Why do we need to pass an amendment when same-sex marriage is already illeagal here?" In the three states where same-sex marriage has been legalized, it has been done by decisions of the state supreme court, not of the citizens of that state. Laws can easily be changed, but an amendment requires the voice of the people. I belief something like this should be decided by the voice of the people, not the voice of 4 or 5 judges. If the people of our state decide that same-sex marriage should be allowed, I would like to be decided by us, not by the supreme court.

Finally, I would hope that when I have discussed this issue with my children, I have taught them to be tolerant of others, not to judge those for their life choices. Voting for this amendment does not mean that I am not tolerant. It means that I am practicing my sacred right as a citizen of this country by voting for policies that I feel will help our nation. I know that there are many peaceful people who will vote against me, and I certainly respect their decisions as well. I am very grateful to live in a place where we can vote and peacefully make decisions and support policies.

I'm sure many of you have seen this last video, but I'm posting it anyway. I belief it is so very powerful and I have to echo the sediments at the end. I hope everyone in our country will take the time to vote and vote their conscience after carefully studying each issue and candidate. I believe it is a great privilege as well as obligation to do so.

1 comment:

by michelle shirley said...

Cheryl,
Very well written. I couldn't of said it better. Let's talk soon!