Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Time to Honor Granmda June

My beautiful, fun loving, and every other positive adjective you can think of recently passed away. She was nothing if not a wonderful example and strong matriarch. I can't possibly write everything I would like to about her, so I won't. This post would be too long, plus there are so many things that are just too personal for me to try and explain (I did a little in a previous post just after her death).

She spent the last few years of her life spending winters (and then even more) here where it was warm. I so thankful to have had this time with her.

She passed away on April 25, in the early morning hours. We held a memorial service down here on Thursday, April 28, then a funeral service up in Midway on April 30. I was blessed enough to go to both.

I didn't take too many pictures down here, but still, here are a few from the day.

Mariana and A

Kalais asleep

My Aunt Julee had some beautiful displays to honor Grandma and the things she loved.
(the portrait on the left of the lady with her head bowed is a painting of her mama)


After the service, the ward made a dinner for us. The once done eating, the kids had so much fun running around the stage.

Since we had the 3 little girls together, we had to take their picture

L, A, CK looking at flowers.
The next day, D, A, and I hitched a ride with my parents up to Utah. I stayed with Dave's brother's family (which was heaven to D, since their oldest is just a week younger than him.) We woke up the morning of the funeral to 8 inches of snow. Thankfully, my brother in law was willing to shovel us out of the driveway (I was borrowing my little sister's car at this point).

At the cemetery. The Pall bearers moving the casket.





Putting their boutonieres on the casket.

Aunt Jo, Uncle Don (who came home from Hawaii where they are serving a mission at the PCC) with Grandpa Pug




Terri, Brent, Jo, Don, Mom, Dad, Grandpa, Pat, Marcee, Julee, Ron, Robyn
(the kids with their spouses)

This is a picture of all the grandkids who were present. It was pretty special for me to have been able to see each of my cousins with in just a few days of each other. While not everyone was able to be to both services, everyone was able to to make to 1 or the other.

Members of my dad's family who were there.

Me, my June Baby, and D

We had another family dinner after the internment. Here I am holding A, and my little niece Abney

Funny picture my sister took of the adults trying to get the babies to look for the pictures

After the dinner, some of us went back to my aunt and uncle's house for a nice long visit and talk with my cousins, uncle, aunt, parents, and grandpa. We were able to share stories and feelings about my grandma, as well as her mama, who, while I never was able to know in this life, was just such a part of Grandma, you just couldn't talk about her, without Mama. I truly am thankful for that time and I hope never to forget the stories and other things they shared.

Eventually, we left (much to D's relief--he was desperate to see his cousins too)
We did have a little bit of time when we got home for D to play with his cousins.

No comments: