Sunday, January 9, 2011

Christmas 2011

As always, we had a fabulous Christmas. It really is the best time of all for me and I look forward to it all year long. We always have Christmas Eve dinner here at our house. It may get a little crowded, but I love being able to do this! We have dinner, then let each of the kids open 1 present from their cousin. We will usually do the nativity scene with the kids (though this time, we didn't get to it until Christmas Day), and I always do my "Teach The Children" lesson.

This year, we have had some extra family with us. We are lucky enough to have Iulia let us claim her as part of our family. When my parents were adopting my brother and sister from Moldova, she was part of the adoption team over there, as well as their translator. About 6 months, after my siblings got here, Iulia, as well as 2 other women who worked so tirelessly to help these kids get adopted, came over to check on all of the kids here. At the time, Iulia was about 22. Well, when it was time for her to go back, we decided we wanted to keep her. That's the short version, but still the most accurate. She has been living with my parents ever since. We all adore her. Well, a few months ago, she announced her engagement to Dee (again, who we just love). Their wedding was on New Years (more to follow). Because of the wedding, Iulia's parents, brother and his fiance were able to come over. They spent the first 2 weeks of their trip at my parents. We have loved them all! I really didn't expect anything less. After all, anyone who raised Iulia has to be pretty special.

I have to admit that one of the reasons I love them so much is because they are so sweet with my kids! Here are Iulia's parents (Vladimir and Tatiana) playing with A. They have given her so much attention and how can you not love people who love your kid?

Julia and Dee (or as KL says, "deet")
Opening presents: A didn't realize that the best part of the back was inside!

Caught CK at a blink. Oh well! She still has loved the jewelry box! (again, as KL would say, "the Julia box")

KL got this lovely skirt. She adores it! She put it on the next morning and during family prayer, she said "and pwease bwess my skiwt--my pwetty skiwt"
This year for Christmas, my mom made each of her grandkids a costume for the Nativity Scene. We didn't get a chance to have all the cousins dress up on Christmas Eve, but after everyone left, I still let my kids put their costumes on as we read the Christmas Story." Naturally, my little A was our angel.

Our family scene:
L adn A: Angels; CK: Mary; B: Joseph; D: Shepherd; KL:wise-"person"

Me and my Girls in our Christmas PJ's. The boys didn't want to pose in their matching ones.

Lining Up Christmas Morning to go in to see what Santa Brought!

CK playing on her bouncy ball

A enjoyed her new treasures too.

KL's favorite present was the little shopping cart full of food!

D: Lucky boy! He got a new suit since he tore his. Just what he wanted!

B: One word... Nerf.

CK with more of her stuff.

L: Big ticket item: Guitar

KL also loved her Tangled Book

Santa brought Dave a present too. "The Ultimate Berserker" Nerf Gun so he could play (terrorize) his boys. In his defense, after nailing us all--especially B--he gave B control of it.
Opening Presents:
D:
B helping A--New shoes!

KL:

CK:
L:
B: More nerf!
D:

KL and A playing with A's loot

We had dinner at my parents. Dee made us a great dessert. Here he is working on it.
...and finally... all the grandkids doing the Nativity

1 comment:

The Curtis Family said...

ha ha that's KL's fave toy at our house too -- a talking shopping cart!

love your mom's costumes! what a great present.