Monday, February 8, 2010

The Suit


B has long coveted D's Sunday suit. He would often ask me when he could get a suit coat. This may seem a little strange for a kid his age to want this so bad, so let me just add that when he was about to turn 6, he asked me if he could have a church belt for his birthday. It was truly all he wanted. Unfortunately, I had already finished shopping for him. Luckily, Grammy called asking for gift ideas and was able to get the belt. He still wears it with pride today.

Just before he got baptized, I had him try on D's old suit (just so I could gage the size), and his face fell a little when he saw that it was much to big. However, when I came home from the store a short time later with a brand new suit that was just his size, he was absolute ecstatic. He wore it with such pride the next day at church. It just so happens that that day at church was the Primary Program, so my mom was able to see him in it. However, my dad was unable to make it. He wanted nothing more than to wear it over to my parents that afternoon to show my dad. I had to tell him no because I just knew it would dirty during dinner and the post-dinner play.

Over the last few months, his love for his special suit hasn't faded. During the Christmas season, I pulled out a nice red sweater for him to wear with his black corduroy pants. Oh boy! What a traumatic event that was. I eventually conceded that he could wear his suit, but with a more Christmasy tie. The only Sunday since he got his suit that he hasn't worn it, was when he went to Denver. Even then, we had to sit down and have a little talk about not being able to fit his suit in his small carry on suit case with all of his other clothes and snow gear. He grudgingly agreed to wear something else that day.

For Christmas, I had bought Dave some new hangers. The nice wooden kind that are ideal for suits. As I was cleaning out our closet and switching out the old hangers, I had asked B to bring me something. He saw the hangers and commented longingly how nice they were. After I got done with all my organizing, I brought him back in and told him that he could hang his suit on one of Daddy's hangers. He was just so happy. I showed him where in the closet I wanted his suit hung (I always keep the kids church clothes in my closet. It is easier to keep track of them, and easier access when we are trying to get things ironed on Saturday night). He has been absolutely meticulous about hanging up his suit ever since.

(maybe you noticed his belt which he carefully has laying on the boxes behind his suit :) )

I just had to include this because I just love this little guy and he cracks me up! Simple pleasures!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Cheryl, You are going to freeze your hinee off! I was there in Appleton the first week of November. It was beautiful. The weather was perfect 50 degrees. But I hear it is not so now. COLD! Have fun and be safe. Katie your sister told me you are expecting another bundle in April. Congrats! I still feel dumb about the comment I made about keeping up with Jill, the number of kids. You are a great mom and I am excited you are having another baby.

Mary-Sunshine said...

I love this post all about little b. how funny! he is so handsome!